We can’t stress enough the importance of buying safe toys and gifts for children.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission an estimated 251,700 toy-related injuries were treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms in 2017. Almost half of those incidents were injuries to the head. Unfortunately, most of these injuries happen to children under age 15.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology advises parents to be cautious when choosing holiday gifts for young people and recommends avoiding those that launch projectiles, such as crossbows and BB guns for young children.
Here are their Top Toy Safety Tips:
- Avoid purchasing toys with sharp, protruding or projectile parts.
- Make sure children have appropriate supervision when playing with potentially hazardous toys or games that could cause an eye injury.
- Ensure that laser product labels include a statement that the device complies with 21 CFR (the Code of Federal Regulations) Subchapter J.
- If you give a gift of sports equipment, also give the appropriate protective eyewear with polycarbonate lenses. Check with your ophthalmologist to learn about protective gear recommended for your child’s sport.
- Check labels for age recommendations and be sure to select gifts that are appropriate for a child’s age and maturity.
- Keep toys that are made for older children away from younger children.
- If your child experiences an eye injury from a toy, seek immediate medical attention from an ophthalmologist.
The FDA also advises the public to never aim or shine a laser pointer at anyone and to not buy laser pointers for children. These lasers have the potential to cause severe retinal damage, with just seconds of laser exposure to the eye.
With the right prevention, you can avoid eye injuries. If your child experiences an eye injury, seek help from your Ophthalmologist right away. A serious eye injury is not always immediately obvious, and delaying medical attention can result in permanent vision loss or blindness.
Take the right steps to protect your vision. Contact Zieker Eye today to learn more or schedule an appointment.